Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Promoters Taking Advantage of Artists

It's late and I am exhausted, but I wanted to quickly state something.  I have had SOOO many great experiences with venues and promoters.  I am very grateful for the kindness and hospitality that I have been shown.  That's been such a blessing.

However, for the few times that I have not been treated as kindly, I would like to say something.  "I think that it is absolutely ridiculous for promoters to take advantage of artists by-making money off of them and not paying them, by treating them like they should work for free, and by assuming that it would be such a privilege to play an establishment, and for treating them as if the venue has done them a favor to let them volunteer their services. Respect artists! Pay artists! They deserve it."

Artist's write the songs, play the instruments, travel to the location & possibly drag around heavy equipment, think about what to wear, what songs to play, what to say between songs, record and pay for CDs, practice with other musicians and teach the other musicians the songs, bring folks to the establishment to watch the show, promote the show, book the show, do the research to even find out about the venue, talk with folks after the show, print flyers, get photos for the flyers, and not to mention that they have to get up in front of unknown people and expose their heart, then pack up their stuff, book a train, plane, bus, or get mapquest directions to get home to unpack and do it all again....and on and on.  I am not at all complaining about the job. I love doing music. 

So, for crying out loud, treat artists with respect and pay them for their services. Otherwise, don't invite them to your establishment. Set up a karaoke machine or a jukebox.  Now, I am off the Soapbox :)

Have a nice night!

Love,

Tammy*

1 comment:

  1. AMEN! Love the paragraph about all it takes to prepare for shows...

    ReplyDelete